MAX98357 I2S 3W Class D Amplifier Breakout
Now availale from PMD Way is this neat MAX98357 I2S 3W Class D Amplifier Breakout. This allows your project to not only decode digital audio data, it also amplifies it ready for a direct connection to a speaker.
This board will save you time and money, and is both 3.3V and 5V tolerant. The amplifier offers 3.2 Watts into a 4 ohm impedance speaker (5V power @ 10% THD). Inside the miniature chip is a class D controller, able to run from 2.7V-5.5VDC.
The outputs are "Bridge Tied" - that means they connect directly to the speaker terminals. The output is a ~300KHz square wave PWM that is then 'averaged out' by the speaker coil - the high frequencies are not heard. Do not connect to another amplifier's input.
You can adjust the again using the pins, default is 9dB and can be adusted to give 3dB, 6dB, 9dB, 12dB or 15dB.
- Output Power: 3.2W at 4Ω, 10% THD, 1.8W at 8Ω, 10% THD, with 5V supply
- PSRR: 77 dB typ @ 1KHz
- I2S sample rates from 8kHz to 96kHz
- No MCLK required
- Click + Pop reduction
- Five pin-selectable gains: 3dB, 6dB, 9dB, 12dB, 15dB
- Excellent click-and-pop suppression
- Thermal shutdown protection
- Download MAX98357 datasheet (pdf)