MCP23017 I2C 16-bit Port Expander Breakout Board for LCDs
Easily access the powerful MCP23017 I2C 16-bit Port Expander with this breakout board from PMD Way. It contains the useful port expander on a hardy PCB breakout board.
The MCP23017 allows you to add sixteen inputs or outputs (in two pairs of eight) easily to any platform with an I2C interface. The MCP23017 is easy to use, and quite hardy.
Furthermore, this breakout board is designed to be used with 16x2 and 20x4 character LCDs along with the classic 128x64 graphic LCD - allowing you to control the display with only the I2C instead of a bunch of digital output pins.
There is also a contrast potentiometer and the option of PWM control for backlight brightness. Inline header pins are included but not soldered to the board.
- 16-bit input/output port expander with interrupt output
- Cascadable for up to 8 devices on one bus
- 25mA sink/source capability per I/O
- Supports 100kHz, 400kHz and 1.7MHz I2C™Compatible compatible modes
- Arduino LCD and MCP23017 library
- Excellent MCP23017 and Arduino tutorial
- Arduino library for those in a hurry
- download MCP23017 data sheet (.pdf)
- Microchip product home page
- Raspberry Pi tutorial