HT16K33 16 x 8 LED Control Driver SOP28 IC - 10 Pack
If you're looking for a simple way of controlling lots of LEDs, the HT16K33 from PMD Way is the IC for you.
The HT16K33 is a memory mapping and multi-function LED controller driver. The maximum display segment numbers in the device is 128 patterns (16 segments and 8 commons) with a 13*3 (maximum) matrix key scan circuit. The software configuration features of the HT16K33 makes it suitable for multiple LED applications including LED modules and display subsystems. The HT16K33 is compatible with most microcontrollers and communicates via a two-line bidirectional I2C-bus.
You can easily drive one or two 8x8 LED matrices, or eight 7-segment LED displays. It's a 5V part so Raspberry Pi and other 3.3V board users will need a level converter. Coincidentally we happen to sell those as well.
Finally please note the package type is SOP-28 - it's a surface mount device. However we also have the HT16K33 backpack which makes connection much easier if you're not interested in making your own circuit board.
- Operating voltage: 4.5V~5.5V
- Integrated RC oscillator
- I2C-bus interface
- 16 x 8 bits RAM for display data storage
- Max. 16 x 8 patterns.., 16 segments and 8 commons
- R/W address auto increment
- Max. 13 x 3 matrix key scan
Using the HT16K33:
- Raspberry Pi/C tutorial
- General explanation of addressing the HT16K33
- Dicussion on using Electric Imp and HT16K33
- For Arduino and Raspberry Pi example code (etc.) check out the links from the backpack board